Nov 18, 2009

10 Reasons I paint horses




Because I love them. I love their breath, I love their gentle and forgiving natures, I love their heart, their athleticism and power. I love their smell and the feel of them.


I'm humbled by what they have done for mankind and they sacrifices they have made. I'm in awe of what they endure and their patience with those who need patience. Time and again I have seen a horse who would throw a good rider with ease, for their arrogance, yet be like a lamb for a child, or for someone who couldn't ride, but was humble.


Because I love their shape, their gestures of power and grace and the infinite possibilities of design and beauty they offer.


Because every adventure, opportunity and breakthrough in my life has in some way been connected to horses. They fill my memories, experiences and dreams.


Because they are so rewarding to work with – without fail they let me know if I'm on the wrong track and when I'm doing it right.


They have scarred my body and built my character, cracked my bones and soothed my soul
Because just looking at a horse gives me pleasure and because riding a good horse is like nothing else on earth, pure exhilaration and awesome gratitude.


Because they've carried me safely galloping over pulled scrub, tirelessly for miles and miles on hot, long days and always given more, thrilled me with their sensitivity and with the lightness of our communication.


Because from the back of a horse I've seen a landscape not many have the fortune to see, and have been allowed entry into the quiet cathedral of nature, and to peace.


Last but not least, I paint horses because I love their shiny, dappled coats in cadmium colours, rich and soft and bright. Theirs are the colours of my palette I love the most and losing myself in the lusciousness of their colours, shapes and sheen is pure pleasure. Because the contrast and texture of light and shade, dark and light is infinitely challenging and ultimately satisfying to attempt to capture in pencil.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails