Nov 18, 2009

Melbourne Cup at the Polo Club









I was thrilled to have the opportunity to paint the winner of the 2009 Melbourne Cup at the Brisbane Polo Club for their cup function.

The Polo Club is a beautiful old building, with a wonderful ambience, and the staff are truly lovely. I had a ball despite painting for 5 hours in high heels - not something I'd recommend!
























The guests and I enjoyed fabulous food, champers and all the excitement of the cup -as usual I didn't pick the winner though!

From a painting point of view it was a great experience just painting from my heart, with no reference. What freedom - I just enjoyed the paint and what I felt as I put down each muscle, shape, line and colour. I decided I need to do more painting like that - it's easy to get to caught up in detail. Part of the challenge in painting realsim is capturing a true likeness of the subject - and it's important to me to portray my subject accurately both anatomically as well as to capture the feel or essence of a creature - while at the same time creating an interesting, original painting - a piece of art rather than just a copy of a photograph.

I'll let you decide how I went when I post the finished painting.






No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails